Wednesday, October 28, 2009In the spirit of National Cyber Security Awareness Month, we'd like to take a moment to provide some tips for keeping your financial information secure across the web.
In addition, here are a few tips to help keep your information safe as you browse the web and conduct business online:
- When shopping online, investigate the seller before you buy. A legitimate business or individual seller should give you a physical address and a working telephone number at which they can be contacted in case you have problems.
- Check for a secure (https) connection when transmitting any sensitive information such as credit card numbers.
- Don't reuse passwords across multiple accounts, and make sure your passwords are strong.
- Always navigate to your online banking account directly (by entering the URL in your browser or using a bookmark), not by clicking on links in emails.
- Whenever possible, avoid logging in to your online banking account or entering any other sensitive information onto websites while using a public computer.
- Always log out completely after using online accounts, and never save your passwords on public computers.
- Beware of money scams.